November 19, 2017

# Bars # cinnamon rolls

Healthy Cinnamon Roll Squares


Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite things to bake but I usually don't because they are very time consuming. So what do I do when I want cinnamon rolls without the wait? I make these squares!

They have all the goodness of cinnamon rolls without all the time or the calories.

and Holy moly these are so good! I urge you to try them right now! 

The squares are slightly dense and chewy. You can really bite into them and taste the delicious cinnamon.

The cream cheese frosting is the best I've ever tasted. And it's a little healthier than your average frosting.  

Cinnamon Roll Squares
Makes 12

Ingredients

For squares:

1 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
5 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For frosting:*
1/2 cup cream cheese (softened)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp Greek yogurt

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line or grease a 8 x 8in baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil and all of the sugars. Add the egg and vanilla and then whisk until well combined. 
4. Slowly add your dry ingredients to the wet. Stirring until combined. Be careful not to over mix, the batter should be quite thick.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
6. For the cream cheese frosting, blend all ingredients with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. 
7. Remove squares from the dish and frosting before cutting.

*This frosting recipes makes more than enough for the squares if you just want to lightly frost them like I did. Feel free to halve the recipe if desired or use the leftovers for something else. You can also frost your squares more if you like.

2 comments:

  1. I know what I will be making now for my next breakfast bake off at work! Cream cheese icing is my weekness.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn!

COPYRIGHT 2020 KATCUPCAKE.COM