May 23, 2017

# Breakfast # Cake

Lavender Apricot Earl Grey Tea Cake



I don't know about you but I simply adore lavender! For one I love the purple color but I also like the calming effects it has. I often sprinkle some lavender essential oils on my bed to help me sleep at night.





I've been meaning to bake some treats with lavender and saw my chance when I found this lavender extract at Home Sense! 





The lavender extract smells lovely and it adds a wonderful aroma and taste to baked goods. I also find that -as with the essential oil- consuming lavender extract also gives a calming effect. If you don't have lavender extract feel free to use vanilla or almond extract.




I did not add any eggs to this recipe(the batter looked sticky when I put it in the pan otherwise I would have!) and if your diet allows I would suggest you add a couple of eggs in. This cake came out a little crumbly. I can see myself trying this cake batter out again so I'll let you know how it goes with the eggs! Another alternative would be to add in 1/4 cup of applesauce. 





Try this cake today as a healthy and calming treat!






Lavender Apricot Earl Grey Tea Cake



Ingredients

  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 Earl Grey Tea Bags
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup millet flour
  • 1/4 cup lentil flour *see footnote on flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  •  couple drops of lavender extract
  • 3/4 cup honey**
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup  vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs (optional, see note above)
  • 1/4 cup chopped apricots plus extra for topping

*you can use all purpose or spelt flour. If you wish to make this gluten free, you can substitute all purpose for more millet but add 2 tsp guar or xanthan gum
**feel free to use maple syrup or agave for a vegan version

Directions
1. Heat almond milk in the microwave for one minute, steep tea bags in the almond milk as you do the rest of the steps
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Line and grease a 9 inch spring form cake pan
3. Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl
4. In a separate bowl, beat your eggs (if using) and then mix in the rest of your wet ingredients. Squeeze all liquid from tea bags before removing them from the steeped milk mixture and then stir this in last
5. Gently mix dry ingredients into wet
6. Stir in chopped apricots
7. Pour mixture into the pan you are using
8. Sprinkle additional apricots and some cinnamon on top
9. Bake for about 20 minutes until top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean
10. Cool completely and serve



What are your favorite essential oils?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn!

COPYRIGHT 2020 KATCUPCAKE.COM