December 29, 2010

# Gluten Free

Gluten Free Apple Crisp

It’s a tradition in my house to eat apple crisp for breakfast on Christmas morning. We used the same recipe for many years but when my mother discovered that she had a gluten intolerance we of course had to switch it up a bit. After searching on the internet for recipes I remained unsatisfied with everything I found. I instead decided to make my own using a few as templates as well as the recipe we always used. In our recipe we use a technique where we add cornstarch and water to the apples. I could not find this technique with any recipe but I like it as it gives more substance to the fruit than traditional recipes.

I was worried that this would not be sweet enough but it came out perfect. I love this recipe because it’s healthy enough to eat for breakfast yet indulgent enough for Christmas. We usually assemble this the night before and then just pop it in the oven in the morning.



Gluten Free Apple Crisp

3-4 large apples (like granny smith)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup warm water

3/4 cup gluten free oats
1/4 cup rice flour
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and get out an 8 by 8 inch pan
Chop up the apples into coarse bite sized pieces (you can leave the peels on its easier, healthier, and more delicious). Put into the pan and toss with vanilla extract, lemon juice, cinnamon, agave nectar, and cornstarch. Then add the warm water. Spread evenly.



Before going into the oven

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the oats, rice flour, ground flax seed, brown sugar, maple syrup, and spices. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, two knives, or even you hands until the mixture is crumbly and the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples.

Bake for about an hour, or until the apples are cooked and liquid is seeping in through the topping.


After, mmm... look at that delicious apple juice. It looks like caramel!

Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to make it extra special!


4 comments:

  1. Kat, this is looking delicious. I have to forward your site to my friend who is on gluten free diet. I will try this recipe sometimes soon. Cheers,
    Sweet Green
    www.asweetgreen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seriously looking for a gluten free apple crisp recipe for months! This looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, that looks SO AMAZING! I am practically drooling! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat,
    this looks delicious! Can I add it to my site? I've started my daughter on a gluten-free diet for her acne and I know she would love this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn!

COPYRIGHT 2020 KATCUPCAKE.COM