May 11, 2011

# Doughnuts # Gluten Free

Gluten Free Baked Banana Doughnuts


I love doughnuts more than I care to admit. I first discovered this when I visited Japan. I was introduced to the iconic Mr.Donut shop and fell in love. I don't think I lived before I had one of their doughnuts. They are made fresh, indescribably tasty, and have many unique flavours. I went to Mr.Donut many times and even got a Mr.Donut club membership card while I was there! I considered bringing a box of doughnuts home with me but my suitcase got too full.



Obviously, I was ecstatic when I won a doughnut pan giveaway from See Jac Run. I have been wishing for a doughnut pan for ages! Thanks Jackie!

Doughnut pan and Cinnamon Vanilla Doughnut Sugar


I decided to bake some special gluten free doughnuts for my mom as a late Mother's Day treat. My mom used to make Slovak fried doughnuts when I was a kid but not since her gluten intolerance developed. Homemade doughnuts are absolutely delicious if you've never had them you should.

Vegan gluten free doughnuts. That's not something
you can find in a coffe shop now is it?


These doughnuts are incredible. They have a great chewy texture like a yeast doughnut but a bit denser than a cake doughnut. I love them, you would never guess that they are both gluten free and vegan.

Fluffy innards of a doughnuts.

Gluten Free Baked Banana Doughnuts
Adapted from here
Makes 6-8

3/4 cup soy milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed banana
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 tbsp rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp guar gum

For topping:
Melted coconut oil
Cinnamon
Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together soy milk with apple cider viniger and set aside
In a large bowl, stir together sugar, banana, and coconut oil
Add in the rice flour, tapioca starch, sorghum flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and guar gum
Whisk until combined
Now add in the soy milk and stir
Spoon mixture into doughnut pan
Bake for 15-20 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean and the tops are slightly browned (*Note I had to bake mine for almost 30 minutes but I think it might have been because of my oven)
Pop doughnuts out of pan. Dip in melted coconut oil and then toss with cinnamon sugar.


Yummy

If you don't have a doughnut pan you could use a muffin pan. I made mini muffins baked for about 10 minutes with some leftover batter and they turned out great.

21 comments:

  1. I think I will always regret getting rid of my donut pans! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be really good with a chocolate glaze :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe! I love that you bake them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for you lovely comment kat! it brightened my morning.
    although now ive come over here ill be distracted all day thinking about yummy banana donuts! This is going straight to the top of my 'must make' list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm saving this for when I get back home to my doughnut pans. They sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I found your blog today! I've got an overly ripe banana at home and a gluten-free boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baking donuts is such a good idea! I've never made them before because I don't want to get my kitchen all dirty by frying anything. I am dying to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to bake everything that says "fry" some are more successful than other. Im glad that this recepie will workout for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These donuts look delicious! I love that they are also gluten free. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm coeliac and one of my favourite combinations is banana and coconut so these look the way to go! Lovely pictures of them too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look too good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cool!! My friend is gluten free, and these would be awesome to make for her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, this sounds like a killer banana bread taken to the next level- Incredibly tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great Kat! I love the idea of baked donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for supporting the gluten free family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look fantastic! I so miss donuts since going gluten free. Would it possible to substitute almond milk for the soy? I try to avoid soy as it interferes with my thyroid meds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Little Bear, You can substitute with any milk you wish. I'm sure almond milk will work just fine. I hope you enojy them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! I look forward to trying these out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Does it matter what kind of rice flour? Sweet, white, or brown?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Renee I used white rice flour. Sweet or brown would work but it may not yield the exact same results

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    Thanks for this recipe!! I tryed it and really enjoyed them!! The texture is great, not gummy:-) even after refrigerating & microwaving. I used mini muffin pans because I don't have a donut pan, but now I have a reason to buy one!!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn!

COPYRIGHT 2020 KATCUPCAKE.COM