December 18, 2011

# Cookies # Vegan

Spicy Oatmeal Cookies

Christmas is almost here and you know what that means?
Cookies!



I can't wait to bake and sample multiple cookies. For me the quintessential Christmas cookie has to be filled with spices. Of course there's the traditional gingerbread cookie which is lovely and delicious but I don't always like to go traditional.

This year it feels like Christmas has come too quickly. I love Christmas and I can't believe that I have had no time to enjoy all of my favorite things about it and I still have one more exam left!

Does anyone else love Christmas songs? My favorite is Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Its so epic and possibly the only Christmas song you could walk slowly away from an explosion to.


What's your favorite Christmas song?




These are not your average oatmeal cookies as they are loaded with tons of spices. This makes them a very tasty but still sweet and satisfying cookie. I shared these with some friends and they all enjoyed them so I'm sure you will too.



Spicy Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from How it All Vegan
Makes 30 cookies

1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
Sprinkle cayenne
Dash ground cloves
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup sour milk*
1/4 cup dried cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Bring a half cup of water to a boil and pour over the dried cranberries. Let this sit for a couple minutes so your cranberries get nice and plump. Then drain
3. Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, and spices in a bowl
4. Add applesauce, oil, milk, and cranberries. Stir until combined.
5. Scoop dough onto a baking sheet and gently flatten
6. Bake 8-10 minutes till cookies are browned on the bottom and baked through

* For sour milk, whisk together 1/2 cup soy milk or milk with 1/2 tsp vinegar. Let this sit for a few minutes to get sour.

11 comments:

  1. yum! those sound great - i was thinking of baking sriracha cookies but these sound a little easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool cookies! I've never had spicy oatmeals before! I love the song - it's playing right now while I'm commenting...thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I love the cayenne in these. Great idea! And we've been playing Christmas music since the day after Thanksgiving, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they really look great. Can we use butter milk in place of sour milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Neetu buttermilk would be a perfect substitution

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made these cookies twice and they are delicious. I made a variation on these once, as well. I doubled all the dry ingredients and oil and added 1 cup of homemade cranberry sauce that i made with uncooked blended cranberries, whole navel orange (including peel) and stevia to taste. Santa left a note asking for another dozen next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sounds so good! Perfect for the season, as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i made this during the christmas season. tastes heavenly :) didn't use sour milk but buttermilk though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anon Your version sounds delicious! I'm glad you enjoyed them

    @Mary's Pastry Lab Thanks for trying my recipe. I'm so happy that you liked them

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so excited for this recipe! been craving oatmeal cookies but love your spin on them. weekend baking can't come soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete

Your turn!

COPYRIGHT 2020 KATCUPCAKE.COM